Varicose veins develop on your legs as raised, unattractive blood vessels that take on a tangled appearance. Aside from being embarrassing, they can be quite painful.
If you suffer from varicose, or spider veins, you may think that living with them is inevitable. The good news is there are ways to minimize the appearance of these unsightly veins. Check out these five helpful tips:
- Kick up your feet. Your leg veins work by carrying blood upward against gravity. Standing for a prolonged period of time can make varicose veins worse because your veins have to work harder the more you’re on your feet. It may be impossible to take a load off if your occupation calls for a lot of standing, but even taking breaks occasionally to rest your legs (and elevating them if possible) can help.
- Eat right and exercise. Putting pressure on your legs from excessive weight gain causes varicose veins, so adopting a healthy lifestyle can prevent unnecessary weight gain not only good for your veins but for your overall mind and body.
- Avoid salt. Salt intake causes swelling and water retention, so skip the salt in favor of a diet high in fiber-rich foods. Eating more fiber is an effective way to prohibit the development of varicose veins.
- Beat the heat. One of the biggest ways to promote the formation of varicose veins is with heat from hot tubbing or hot baths. That’s because heat causes your veins to swell. Bathe in lukewarm (not hot) water, and if you suffer from varicose veins, it’s best to stay away from hot tubs completely.
- Wear compression stockings. Compressing the affected area(s) redistributes leg pressure and limits the development of varicose veins.
To learn more about effective treatment for leg veins, or if you’re interested in any of the other dermatologic services we provide, contact Westerville Dermatology online or by calling 614.895.0400 today to schedule an appointment.