Why Is My Skin So Dry?
- Posted on: Mar 15 2017
Are you dealing with dry skin? Unfortunately, you’re exposed to the elements – sun, wind and cold – your skin is the first thing to suffer. But what’s to blame for your dry skin and how can it be fixed? To Read on to learn more about the top causes of dry skin and what to do about it:
- Cold weather. When it gets cold out, the air becomes dry, which leaves many with itchy, irritated skin. And being indoors with dry furnace air only adds to the problem. Run a humidifier in your home to keep moisture in the air, and when you go outside, cover up parts of your body that are prone to dryness like your lips, face, and hands.
- Hot showers. While a steamy shower can do wonders to help you relax, it’s not doing your skin any favors. Hot showers dry out the natural oils in your skin, so turn down the temperature and keep your showers short.
- Scrubbing your skin. You can get clean without scrubbing your skin with too much gusto. Ditch that harsh sponge for a soft wash cloth, or just use your hands. You’ll be just as clean without damaging your skin.
- Aging. Gradual changes in hormone levels can leave skin parched and thin. Get into the habit of moisturizing your face and body each morning with the lotion that contains alph-hydroxy acids and retinol.
- Skin conditions. If your skin is particularly scaly and red, it could be a skin condition like psoriasis or dermatitis, or it may indicate an underactive thyroid or diabetes. If your red skin seems to be an issue no matter what moisturizers you try, make an appointment with your doctor right away.
Do you suffer from dry skin?
To learn more about living with and treating dry, itchy skin, or if you’re interested in any of the other dermatologic services we provide, contact Westerville Dermatology online or by calling 614.895.0400 today to schedule an appointment.
Posted in: Skincare Tips