Clear the Remnants of Acne with Simple Steps
- Posted on: Jul 15 2019
Persistent breakouts of pimples and blackheads can be a frustrating problem and one that is difficult to manage. In our dermatology practice, we understand the significance of getting acne under control. Professional treatments can clear existing acne and also pave the way to smooth, clear, healthy skin without the remnants of acne such as discoloration and scarring. Here, we discuss how home care and medical treatment join forces for great skin.
Home Care for Acne-Prone Skin
Daily habits are integral to healthy skin. For those who struggle with acne or who have scars that need healing, ingredients are a matter of importance. Those that are known for their regenerative benefits include:
- Salicylic acid. This mild acid can be good for acne-prone skin because it cleans dirt and dead skin cells from the outer layer of the skin. One of the reasons that acne occurs is because this kind of debris traps oil and bacteria in the pores.
- Alpha hydroxy acids. Various AHAs may be found in medical grade skin care products aimed at controlling breakouts. Alpha hydroxy acids speed up cellular turnover. The more efficiently old cells can slough off naturally, the better the skin looks over time. This is because the layers of tissue in which discoloration have occurred move closer to the surface where the damaged cells eventually flake off.
- Retinoids are beneficial in all forms of skin care because they are known for soothing irritation and redness and also supporting cellular turnover.
Getting a Hand from Your Dermatologist
A board-certified dermatologist can provide care that clears stubborn acne. When acne has gone away but left discoloration and scars, this same doctor can provide treatments to facilitate rapid tissue regeneration. Some of the treatments available in our Westerville office include:
- Chemical peels, which create a microenvironment on the skin that leads to flaking and cellular renewal. Peels may be so mild that they cause subtle peeling or deeper to achieve more profound results with fewer treatments.
- Microneedling. This minimally-invasive treatment stimulates increased collagen production for firmer, smoother, brighter skin.
- Microneedling with RF. The INFINI treatment platform gives microneedling a super-power. Specifically, this treatment combines the mechanical effects of microneedling with the thermal effects of radiofrequency. Improvements begin to appear weeks after the very first treatment.
Posted in: Acne Treatment